A suffix (word ending) referring to something written, drawn or recorded (such as a collagraph, collograph, holograph (not to be confused with hologram), monograph, photograph, pictograph) or an instrument for writing, drawing, recording, or playing a recording (such as phonograph and seismograph). A person who writes about a specific subject might be a biographer, a geographer, etc. Penmanship is chirography. The Oxford English Dictionary says a hurrygraph is a "jocular nonce-word" meaning hurried sketch. Also see -gram and -type.

Glossary of Art Terms. 2014.

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.